Resources and Ideas for Teachers

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Pocket Chart Activities

I love Pocket Charts! I plan to start a pocket chart center this year with my K's. I have found all kinds of activities and surprises on the following sites.

All About Pocket Charts
Jessica's Pocket Charts
KinderKorner Pocket Charts
School Days
Angie's Pocket Chart Site

There are lots of things you can have them do! I have various kinds of ABC flash cards that I'm going to use for them to sequence. I bought 2 sets of ABC strips (the kind you put over the chalkboard.) at Dollar Tree. One set I'm putting in the pocket chart and the other set I'm going to cut apart so they can match the letters and practice sequencing them on top of those. I use rhyming flash cards for them to match the rhyming words. In another pocket chart, I have monthly words (October, for ex.-pumpkin, witch, haunted house, etc.) and 2 sentence starters which reinforces sight words: I like_______. and I see_______. Children have to fill in the blank with monthly words and use sight word cards: I like the pumpkin. I see a witch.I do this for each month. Then they take a pointer and read the sentences they made. You can also have them write their sentence later on in the year and illustrate. The other side of that pocket chart I have some kind of seasonal cutout. (Scarecrow, for example) I write out sentences to describe cutout. See my blue hat. See my yellow shirt. See my red pants. I make the same sentence and cut apart the words for the children to place over the words in the sentence. They read the sentences with a pointer when finished. This idea is from Kinderkorner. Check out Jessica Meacham's site- she has a wealth of pocket chart ideas! www.jmeacham.com

especially at the beginning of the year (but really all year long) I use their names. Anything with their names and they will be engaged for a long while. you can do their pictures and names for a matching gameor do poems where their names get subbed in. ____ be nimble. chicka, chicka boom boom, here comes ______ up the coconut tree. and like the previous posted mentioned color word activities are always good.

I'm using them for making words activities. Check out Jessica Meacham's site-she has pictures of how she turns these pocket charts into making words folders! Click on "Working With Words".

Hope these help!

No comments:


About Me

My photo
In Him I live, move and have my being. Acts 17:28